Reducing the Carbon Footprint of the Transportation Sector with Eco-friendly Vehicles
The transport industry has a significant impact on the environment because vehicles are a major consumer of energy and petroleum. This is why many people choose to look at carbon offsetting from a company such as Cool Effect when they travel in a bid to help tackle climate change. Carbon emissions from vehicles have become one of the largest contributors to global warming. The sheer number of vehicles alone offsets any environmental regulations implemented in most developed countries like the United Kingdom. In any major city across the country, there are other environmental concerns related to the transport industry such as traffic congestion and urban sprawl.
In recent years, there has been a worldwide effort to reduce the impact of the transportation industry on the environment. There is increased effort and interest in electric cars as well as sources of renewable, energy-efficient energy. In the United Kingdom alone, the transport sector contributes to about one-third of the overall greenhouse gases. The UK government made the following policy changes to mitigate this:
- Encouraged the production and innovation of green technology like making buses greener and encouraging utilisation of public transport to reduce the number of vehicles on the road.
- The government also endorsed the RTFO or Renewable Transport Fuel Obligation, which promotes the production of biofuels in order to reduce damage to the environment. This requires transport suppliers to show that a share of their fuel consumption originates from renewable resources.
These changes in the public sector make a world of difference. Fortunately, the private sector is also stepping in to do their part. Taxi services make up a large percentage of transportation for the general public, hence, also contributing to the burgeoning problem with carbon emissions. Many taxi companies these days are moving towards the use of eco-friendly taxis rather than traditional fuel-powered vehicles. Eco-friendly cars or hybrid cars are partially powered by electricity, thus conserving fuel and reducing carbon emissions. Here are other advantages of hybrid vehicles.
- Incentives from the government make hybrid cars more affordable. This is true when used as an option for transportation. With hybrid cars, you pay lower tax and are exempt from congestion charges.
- Hybrid cars are less dependent on fossil fuels which in turn helps lower the price of petrol in the domestic market.
- Hybrid vehicles are manufactured from lighter material to make them more energy efficient.
- Since more and more people are opting for hybrid vehicles, it eventually leads to higher resale value.
Choosing a car service or a taxi instead of driving your own car is another step towards reducing your carbon footprint. In the UK, you can find taxi services that offer transportation through eco-friendly vehicles. Like many private sectors embracing ethical and environment-friendly practices, the transport industry is beginning to answer the call to lessen carbon emission.
In your own way, you can help too. Aside from patronising taxi services that use eco-friendly cars, you can also ride hybrid buses and public transport that does not heavily rely on fossil fuels. Every person who begins to employ habits that help the environment is a valuable asset to preserving our natural resources for years to come.