A much simpler form of the previous rules as of November 5, 2008 – Now updated on June 15, 2009.
Rules are a drag and it’s unfortunate that it even has to be written, but for the sake of striving towards the overall goals of the blog:
1. You must use a valid email address (this means valid not some privacy service) and post under one name, you may remain anonymous but please stick to the same name/email address. Posting under numerous names in an attempt to appear to be more than one person is not allowed and you will find your comment deleted or in moderation if you provide a fake email address and/or post under more than one name. Before you can comment your first comment will need to be approved manually, this is to prevent previous issues with people trying to create multiple personalities and if your comment is not on topic? It will NOT be approved. If your first comment is on topic, depending on the time it was posted there may be a delay before it is published to the blog.
2. Civil discourse is the goal, repeated personal insults directed at other members of the blog, especially those not related to a topic or not in a heated discussion of a topic will be edited/deleted. This now includes elected officials/candidates since it seems as if some can not follow the “heat of the moment” context in which that was intended. Those who continually go off topic will find their posts moderated and only those comments that are on topic approved.
3. When you post a comment you are agreeing to follow these rules, ignorance of the law just like in the real world, doesn’t work as an excuse here. I will email you if there is a question or something I feel could be resolved off blog, but I reserve the right to edit/delete comments without notification. I also reserve the right to place those who consistently do not follow the rules in moderation where their posts will be approved on an individual basis if the comment is on topic and can be edited if necessary to be on topic. Depending on the day, this could cause delay in posting comments, so I encourage people to follow the rules and avoid being placed in moderation. Those who fail to follow the rules on a consistent basis can and will find they are banned from commenting, those who use services to try to disguise their ip address or email account are not welcome.
4. I do not claim now nor will I ever claim to always be right or to be without my own personal biases and at times I will share what is my own opinion on a topic, and if I am wrong? I will do my best to clarify/update as the situation warrants. This blog will not endorse candidates or electoral issues, I do not speak for all of you as readers, nor will I use the power that you have helped to create with this blog to do that.
5. Most of you will never need to use any of these rules or have them enforced upon you, as always those who read and/or comment are always welcome to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org with thoughts, concerns or comments.
Thank you for your continued support.
Lisa Renee Ward