ETFC is one of the lead partners in the East Toledo Sustainable Communities of Choice initiative working closely with Neighborhood Housing Services of Toledo (NHS).
Toledo LISC grants $102,000 for the East Toledo Community Building Program
Toledo LISC has awarded a grant of $102,000 to ETFC to support a Community Builder and an Events Coordinator to work with residents to design and undertake programs and projects. In conjunction, NHS is currently undertaking community assessment surveys in three of the neighborhoods in East Toledo to pinpoint the needs, wants, and issues that face area residents.
With the grant from LISC, the ETFC Community Builder will be responsible for the following:
- Assisting NHS with implementing Success Measures survey in the Birmingham and Garfield neighborhood.
- Coordinating community meetings and/or focus groups as needed and recruit/encourage residents to attend.
- Utilizing summary report from Success Measures surveys to identify areas of needs and gaps in services and establish collaborations with various existing service providers to fill the needs identified.
- Working with NHS & ETFC to develop an organizational structure of stakeholder organizations and volunteers. This will include local businesses, organizations and governmental agencies that may be able to provide resources. This will also include local religious and educational institutions, block watches and neighborhood groups and individual volunteers.
- Community leadership should emerge during this process. Neighborhood leaders will be groomed and trained by the Community Builder to create and maintain a self-sustaining organizational structure that will continue to function in perpetuity.
- Supporting neighborhood projects by providing overall coordination and assist with gathering material, informing residents and other community organizations
The ETFC will also employ a Community Events planner. This position will be responsible for the following:
- Developing four – six community events offered at various times during the year
- Providing overall coordination of events including gather supplies, marketing efforts, organizing volunteers, obtaining donations, set-up and managing each event.
To learn more about Family Income and Wealth Building or the East Toledo Family Center: